THE REPUBLIC – ESCORT CRUISER SSD
(PXR1.2) REPUBLIC ESCORT CRUISER (ECA):
When the PH-VI was first developed, the Republic rushed to convert a few of the First Cruisers to carry it. The PH-V’s were removed and replaced with the brand new PH-VI’s. The Republic was excited about the conversion, because at close range, the PH-VI repeatedly demonstrated a higher damage yield than the PH-V.
Unfortunately, the Republic had to learn about the PH-VI’s limitations through experience. Because the PH-VI’s were so short-ranged, cruisers were unable to fight effectively at a distance, giving their opponents a clear advantage. During a pitched battle, one Captain even gave the command for his cruiser to close to point blank range where the PH-VI’s would be most effective and where he could fire double overloaded Kinetic Torpedoes. He succeeded in destroying the enemy vessel, but his ship was crippled in the process. Tacticians would later look upon that battle and frown at the choice the Captain made.
Ultimately, the converted First Cruisers were relegated to Escort Duty. This was made official when their designation was formally changed to Escort Cruiser (ECA). Time would later show that the PH-VI was invaluable against seeking weapons, especially when the PH-VI was improved so that it could fire three and finally, four shots at a time.
1) Kinetic Torpedoes are armed over two turns.
2) Standard Kinetic Torpedoes cost one point of energy on the first turn and one point of energy on the second turn.
3) Overloaded Kinetic Torpedoes cost one point of energy on the first turn and two points of energy on the second turn.
4) Double Overloaded Kinetic Torpedoes cost one point of energy on the first turn and three points of energy on the secon turn.
5) Standard Kinetic Torpedoes can be held at a cost of one point per turn.
6) Overloaded Kinetic Torpedoes can be held at a cost of two points per turn.
7) Double Overloaded Kinetic Torpedoes cannot be held.
8) Kinetic Torpedoes are destroyed on Torpedo hits on the DAC.
1) It costs half a point of energy to fire a Phaser-VI once.
2) Phaser-VI’s can be fired twice per turn, even on the same impulse.
3) Phaser-VI’s do *Not* have a Capacitor.